A slight variation on the classic hot cross buns but still so good. Such a simple healthy recipe and tasty too. These hot cross buns are completely gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free as well as plant based and vegan.
Hot Crossless Buns
• 160g ground almonds
• 50g buckwheat flour
• 40g coconut sugar
• 100g raisins
• 1 tbsp mixed spice (optional)
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 100g pure maple syrup
• 110g almond butter
• 200ml any nut milk
• 2 tsp coconut flour
• 2 tbsp nut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Use a 12 hole muffin baking tin and line with coconut oil or muffin cases.
- Make the cross mix by combing the ingredients, stir well and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well until evenly combined.
- Make a well in the middle, add all the wet ingredients and stir again.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your prepared muffin tin.
- Either place the cross mixture in a small piping bag or a small ziplock bag and cut the corner. Pipe crosses onto the buns or you can spoon it on too.
- Place the tin into the centre of the oven and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Slice and enjoy with a cup of herbal tea.
- The buns will keep in an airtight container for approx 5 days.